Gov't entitlement money
Jenn
2009-12-16 17:01:50 UTC
When do you feel it is ok to receive government assistance, and for how
long?
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
2009-12-16 18:29:33 UTC
Define government assistance (I'm using your tactic).
--
LEO
Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-16 18:53:57 UTC
Post by Jenn
When do you feel it is ok to receive government assistance, and for
how long?
I don't *have* a tactic, Leo .. just questions .. :)

Gov't asst: Food Stamps, Section 8, WIC, are 3 that come to mind right off
hand.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
2009-12-16 19:33:42 UTC
Yes, you do have tactics you use in newsgroups. You can claim they are just
questions but it is a tactic you use.

You forgot to include health care, a soon to be entitlement.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-16 19:50:01 UTC
Post by Leo
Yes, you do have tactics you use in newsgroups. You can claim they
are just questions but it is a tactic you use.
You forgot to include health care, a soon to be entitlement.
Back to my original inquiry:
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
2009-12-16 20:24:19 UTC
It is, IMO, a ridiculous, broad question that cannot be answered. Every
case has merit, or does not. I see no way to make sweeping assumptions
about what's okay without more information from you, concerning what it is
you're really asking about.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-16 21:29:33 UTC
It is, IMO, a ridiculous, broad question that cannot be answered. Every
case has merit, or does not. I see no way to make sweeping
assumptions about what's okay without more information from you,
concerning what it is you're really asking about.
I see alot of complaining about people getting govt entitlements or
assistance. To me, it's obvious that some people have a legitimate need for
gov't asst., and obviously there are others who get it who shouldn't.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-16 22:41:16 UTC
Post by Jenn
When do you feel it is ok to receive government assistance, and for
how long?
I'm asking because I see alot of complaints about people receiving govt
assistance. I rarely see anyone acknowledge that there are people who
truely need such assistance, so I'm asking the people who complain about
such assistance when, if at all, is it appropriate for anyone to receive
gov't assistance.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Eagle
2009-12-16 23:30:31 UTC
Post by Jenn
Post by Leo
Yes, you do have tactics you use in newsgroups. You can claim they
are just questions but it is a tactic you use.
You forgot to include health care, a soon to be entitlement.
When do you feel it is ok to receive government assistance, and for how
long?
Assisance should be temporary, not a entitlement. Not so long ago, welfare
was given to those who were single and have a baby to take care of. So many
Women took advantage of this that it was soon a drain on our economy. Same
with drug abusers. Heroin addicts could get welfare as long as they were
trying to kick the habit.
Jenn
2009-12-17 01:38:18 UTC
I agree it should be temporary. What do we do with the problem of so many
people who've lost their living and many of those jobs are never going to
come back.... I don't know what the answers are ..
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Assistance should be temporary, not a entitlement. Not so long ago,
Jimz1935
2009-12-17 13:41:17 UTC
I've always believed that government assistance was supposed to a "safety
net" for those in need. It could come as temporary financial assistance or
programs that can help train people to get a new start.

That said, I wouldn't put a time-frame on how long a person can receive
government assistance. I think that would be based on a given situation.

For instance, a military man who was very seriously wounded in combat and
needs lengthy rehab time or care versus someone who lost his or her job that
is still employable somewhere else.

My biggest hang-up with government assistance is when they give it everyone
with their hand-out; particularly when that person or group of people are
responsible for their own doing and failures....and show no indication that
they truly want to help themselves. Jim
Eagle
Jenn
2009-12-17 15:38:26 UTC
Post by Jimz1935
I've always believed that government assistance was supposed to a
"safety net" for those in need. It could come as temporary
financial assistance or programs that can help train people to get a
new start.
That said, I wouldn't put a time-frame on how long a person can
receive government assistance. I think that would be based on a
given situation.
For instance, a military man who was very seriously wounded in combat
and needs lengthy rehab time or care versus someone who lost his or
her job that is still employable somewhere else.
My biggest hang-up with government assistance is when they give it
everyone with their hand-out; particularly when that person or group
of people are responsible for their own doing and failures....and
show no indication that they truly want to help themselves. Jim
There may come to the point where entire industries go out of business and
those people will need to be re-trained for whatever technology that
replaces those industries... even now there are so many people out of
work...
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-16 19:27:50 UTC
Not while there is an obesity crisis.
Weigh all recipients and only feed those at 90% or below of the Ideal Body
Weight.
Mandate drug tests too.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
JerryD(upstateNY)
2009-12-16 21:22:39 UTC
A while back someone wrote a post about welfare payments.
He said he has to pass a urine test to work and because his taxes pay for
people on welfare, he thinks it's only fair that they pass a urine to get
their check.
Sounds fair to me.
The lefties are always whining about things not being fair, so they should
love this rule.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-16 21:36:14 UTC
Remember back in the 1990's when Newt suggested that the public housing
residents should perform some work around the project painting, picking up
trash etc?

The lefties had a hissy fit saying that was "demeaning."
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Eagle
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-17 14:03:21 UTC
Post by Eagle
I remember that. They complained, and if they refused to work, no welfare.
http://www.allischalmers.com/new/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5161&title=top-10-poverty-cities
Possibly A Reason For Our Top 10 Poverty Cities
Waiting at California welfare office

"Waiting at California welfare office
Carolina Fuentes and her daughter Katherine, 5, wait for an
appointment at the Sacramento county welfare office in Sacramento, Calif.,
Monday, June 1, 2009. Facing a $24.3 billion state budget deficit, Gov.
Arnold Schwarzengger has proposed ending welfare for poor mothers and their
children, wiping out health insurance for 1 million children and disbanding
care for people with Alzheimer's disease or other disabilities. Fuentes, 22,
a newly-single mother , doesn't qualify for benefits, having crossed the
U.S.-Mexico border as a teenage. She applied for cash assistance, food
stamps and health coverage of her daughter." I'll bet Obama is heavily
supported in these cities. Go ahead, I expect many people to call me a
racist for sharing the e-mail I received below.

Remember where the equal distribution of money goes to. Also remember,
"if you can't sell, buy." How about a new one. If you want to make money
without breaking a sweat, go into politics. Or; If you don't want to work
for generations, make people that work pay for you. Welfare is a wonderful
thing when you are disabled or have a problem you can't handle. Don't tell
me know one in a family can find any kind of job for generations. I heard
the; "that job is below me." If you can't find any job, what can be below
you? This is an easy concept for the politicians. They get elected, are
assured of their pensions, receive great health-care, make a nice salary
hell, why should they care about those of us trying to just make it. We need
to get rid of this life-time welfare. What incentive does anyone have when
they get taken care of. I'm old enough to remember when getting welfare
meant you couldn't have a washer & dryer or a color television. Now it means
rent, washer-dryer, color TV (with cable), car, well you get the picture. My
father worked day and night, he slept two hours a day. He told me; "he would
clean toilets to feed and cloth us. He never wanted to take from the
government. This could be said of all races at that time. It was
embarrassing to say your family was on welfare and they say change is good.
How is it possible a family can be on welfare for generations? The e-mail
below will show which are our ten worst cities for people to be under the
poverty line. Read it to the end, maybe you will see what they all have in
common. Of course there are other problem's, but this hit me in the face.

"City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI

32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY

29..9%

3. Cincinnati , OH

27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH

27.0%

5. Miami , FL

26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO

26.8%

7. El Paso , TX

26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI

26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA

25.1%

10. Newark , NJ

24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau
What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty
rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican
mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same
thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still
POOR

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot
strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about
prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by
pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by
inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away
people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by
doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Eagle
2009-12-17 15:22:45 UTC
Like I said before, California is in a real pickle. The hard decisions will
have to be made if our State is to get out of debt and back to a level
playing field.
Watching people lose their needed benefits and go back to their families, or
live on the streets is a real heart breaker.
We have an area 1/2 miles south of us in the abandoned Audie Murphy ranch
construction site, that has several Americans living in huts made from
plywood and other abandoned construction materials. They come across the
main street through town and dumpster dive for food. The sad part is some of
these people used to be home owners in my tract of homes.
Abraham Lincoln
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-17 15:33:09 UTC
While that ignorantasst Governor yaps about "climate change" instead of
working to solve the CA problem.

I read that Arnold has even less science education than Obamo. (but then he
wasn't given grades on the Affirmative Action Grading Scale)
Abraham Lincoln
Eagle
2009-12-17 16:40:49 UTC
I agree big time.
When we voted Arnold into office, He was totally different that what you see
today. He was ready to do battle with the entrenched democracks in
Sacramento, but over the years in office, those dorkocracks pooled their
forces and pushed through their own pork. They didn't give a rats patootie
if we had the money for these coffer draining entitlements, they just wanted
to make sure their voter base would return them to office. Now we are faced
with bankruptcy. A State that can't pay it's bills can't get credit, and
this world turns on credit.
Abraham Lincoln
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-17 16:43:52 UTC
You are not alone apparently:
Schwarzenegger approval rating hits new low
December 16, 2009 | 9:00 pm
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval rating has dropped to a new low as
Californians continue to worry about the economy and the state's dismal
finances, according to a new poll by the Public Policy Institute of
California.

The poll found that just 27% of Californians approve of the job the governor
is doing -- a career low for Schwarzenegger in the institute's surveys. The
Legislature also remains unpopular, with approval from just 17% of
Californians, matching a record low in July.

More than 60% of respondents said the economy and jobs topped their list of
concerns. State budget problems were the second most cited worry, with 13%
calling the budget the most important issue facing the state. Answering a
separate question, 88% said the state's budget situation was a big
problem.........

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/12/schwarzenegger-approval-rating-hits-new-low.html
Abraham Lincoln
Eagle
Abraham Lincoln
Ferd.Berfle
Abraham Lincoln
Eagle
2009-12-17 20:38:59 UTC
Yep. A thumb is more useful than a pinky, but the pain is just as bad.
Arnold has a eco-friendly hummer that he is trying to push on us so we will
at least think about alternate fueled cars. As you know, I'm already sold on
electric cars, so He has scored points with me on that front, at least.
Abraham Lincoln
Jenn
2009-12-17 15:35:40 UTC
Post by Eagle
Like I said before, California is in a real pickle. The hard
decisions will have to be made if our State is to get out of debt and
back to a level playing field.
Watching people lose their needed benefits and go back to their
families, or live on the streets is a real heart breaker.
We have an area 1/2 miles south of us in the abandoned Audie Murphy
ranch construction site, that has several Americans living in huts
made from plywood and other abandoned construction materials. They
come across the main street through town and dumpster dive for food.
The sad part is some of these people used to be home owners in my
tract of homes.
I'm horrified at seeing people have to go through this sort of ordeal. My
own family came so very close to that same scenario when my kids were
little. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck even now.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Eagle
2009-12-17 16:47:24 UTC
Post by Jenn
Post by Eagle
[...]
For what it's worth, we went through much of the same thing when the stock
market crashed back in 1929. Whole families living in scrap wood huts,
living off of garbage or soup lines. It took a strong president to bring us
out of that mess, and that is what we are lacking today, a strong president
that the American people trust. Obama just threw out a mess of cash thinking
that would turn the economy around. Obviously it didn't, and we are in a
bigger pickle that ever now.

What is the answer to bringing America back from the pit of hell? If I had
the answer, I'd be the prez today.
Leo
Jenn
2009-12-17 17:41:47 UTC
<snip>
Post by Eagle
Post by Jenn
They
Post by Eagle
come across the main street through town and dumpster dive for food.
The sad part is some of these people used to be home owners in my
tract of homes.
I'm horrified at seeing people have to go through this sort of
ordeal. My own family came so very close to that same scenario when
my kids were little. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck
even now.
Jenn,
For what it's worth, we went through much of the same thing when the
stock market crashed back in 1929. Whole families living in scrap
wood huts, living off of garbage or soup lines. It took a strong
president to bring us out of that mess, and that is what we are
lacking today, a strong president that the American people trust.
What sort of action from any president do you think would get jobs back and
people working again? I've been reading what everyone says and there's as
many opinions as to what should be done as there are people giving them. I
see people posting and just complaining alot, but I don't see much in the
way of concrete ideas that will fix anything. Our city is laying people off
left and right and so is the state because revenues are down and they keep
going down. Part of that, I think, is a good thing because government is
just too big anyway so if they get rid of all the fluff and are down to bare
essentials, then it's more conducive to running local and state gov't more
efficiently with less waste... which is how it should be to begin with.
It's kind of like natural selection .... that which is strong will
survive... that which is weak and doesn't work will die out.s (not meaning
people... I mean systems that don't work.)
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Eagle
Are you running for prez, Jenn? <:-)
~BD~
2009-12-17 20:22:00 UTC
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?

IMO she'd be very good in the role!
Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)
Eagle
2009-12-17 20:41:29 UTC
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate. She has
stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
Jenn
2009-12-17 20:49:19 UTC
Post by Eagle
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate.
She has stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
umm <grin> You and the other dave could be my campaign managers ... would
that count as *growing a set*? LOL
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-17 20:51:14 UTC
Post by Eagle
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate.
She has stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
I forgot to ask .. what ideas do I have that are interesting? :)
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Adolf P. Rickenbacker
2009-12-18 00:07:39 UTC
Post by Jenn
Post by Eagle
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate. She
has stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
I forgot to ask .. what ideas do I have that are interesting? :)
Fishing for more compliments?
--
Like one that on a lonesome road Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned round walks on, And turns no more his head,
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', 1797
Jenn
2009-12-18 00:55:22 UTC
Post by Adolf P. Rickenbacker
Post by Jenn
Post by Eagle
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate. She
has stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
I forgot to ask .. what ideas do I have that are interesting? :)
Fishing for more compliments?
no .. I'm asking straight out AHAAAHAHAAHAHA :P~~~
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
~BD~
2009-12-18 08:36:20 UTC
Post by Jenn
no .. I'm asking straight out AHAAAHAHAAHAHA :P~~~
Hussy!

Did you know - changing the subject quickly! - that there has never been
a Prime Minister of Great Britain who was a Catholic?

It's true - Tony Blair said so!
Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)
Adolf P. Rickenbacker
2009-12-18 12:48:23 UTC
Post by ~BD~
Post by Jenn
no .. I'm asking straight out AHAAAHAHAAHAHA :P~~~
Hussy!
Did you know - changing the subject quickly! - that there has never been
a Prime Minister of Great Britain who was a Catholic?
Unsurprising. A Catholic can't be monarch either.
Post by ~BD~
It's true - Tony Blair said so!
Isn't he a convert?

In 1689, William of Orange announced that the population of England and
Wales had henceforth the right to keep and bear arms.

So long as they weren't Catholics, who weren't afforded this right. Those
who did have the right, however, were expected to make use of their right
to keep and bear arms by way of using Catholics as target practice.

Seventeenth century legitimised ethnic cleansing.
Jenn
2009-12-18 14:40:32 UTC
Post by ~BD~
Post by Jenn
no .. I'm asking straight out AHAAAHAHAAHAHA :P~~~
Hussy!
I know .. I should hang my head down in shame ........ but hey ... bet it
made someone laugh just a little bit.. haha :D
Post by ~BD~
Did you know - changing the subject quickly! - that there has never
been a Prime Minister of Great Britain who was a Catholic?
It's true - Tony Blair said so!
No .. didn't know that little tidbit. fascinating ..... <g>
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Aardvark
2009-12-18 14:59:52 UTC
Post by Jenn
Post by ~BD~
Did you know - changing the subject quickly! - that there has never
been a Prime Minister of Great Britain who was a Catholic?
It's true - Tony Blair said so!
No .. didn't know that little tidbit. fascinating ..... <g>
You colonials have only had *one* Catholic president- JFK.
Aardvark
2009-12-18 15:11:02 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by Jenn
Post by ~BD~
Did you know - changing the subject quickly! - that there has never
been a Prime Minister of Great Britain who was a Catholic?
It's true - Tony Blair said so!
No .. didn't know that little tidbit. fascinating ..... <g>
You colonials have only had *one* Catholic president- JFK.
On a personal note, I was an altar boy from the days when the Mass was
said in Latin and can still remember large chunks of the responses we made
to the priest's script, all these years later. I was pretty disappointed
when they changed the format of the Mass and permitted the use of the
language of the country in which the Mass was celebrated.

I suppose it made us altar boys feel less elite, as now the entire
congregation would respond to the priest in English, rather than, as
previously, only the altar boys would do so in Latin.

We wuz cheated, I tells ya.
Jenn
2009-12-18 15:42:24 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by Aardvark
You colonials have only had *one* Catholic president- JFK.
On a personal note, I was an altar boy from the days when the Mass was
said in Latin and can still remember large chunks of the responses we
made to the priest's script, all these years later. I was pretty
disappointed when they changed the format of the Mass and permitted
the use of the language of the country in which the Mass was
celebrated.
I suppose it made us altar boys feel less elite, as now the entire
congregation would respond to the priest in English, rather than, as
previously, only the altar boys would do so in Latin.
We wuz cheated, I tells ya.
I've never been to a Catholic Mass before, but I visited my dad's Episcopal
church a couple times when I was a child.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Regal
2009-12-18 17:19:13 UTC
So you have always liked it up the ass.

Drunkards and child molesters.

You have no shame no wonder david calls you a chum.

Eagle
Careful with that "colonial" scat....<:-)
Eagle
Still thinking....lol!
Jenn
2009-12-20 21:36:45 UTC
Post by Eagle
Post by Jenn
Post by Eagle
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
I think Jenns mindset would make for a fine presidential candidate.
She has stamina, perseverance, tact, and some very interesting ideas.
Now...if She would just grow a set, She'd be in like Flint...lol!
I forgot to ask .. what ideas do I have that are interesting? :)
Still thinking....lol!
haaahahahaha That's what I thought. :D
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-17 20:42:52 UTC
Post by ~BD~
Are you running for prez, Jenn?<:-)
Do you think many folk would vote for her if she did?
IMO she'd be very good in the role!
HAAHAHA right ... my only political experience is here on SE. Does that
qualify me?
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-17 20:44:31 UTC
Post by Eagle
Post by Jenn
[...]
I wouldn't want the headaches! ((wouldn't be able to please anyone!)) :D
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
2009-12-17 22:04:45 UTC
Seems simple enough to me. Historically, it's been proven that you cannot
spend your way out of recession. What do democrats do? Spend and tax.
They pile on the spending, continue to print money, and sooner, rather than
later, this bubble is going to burst.

Stop taxing small businesses into bankruptcy, stop raising people's taxes
and stop spending money. While Americans are struggling, congress voted to
give all federal employees a 2% raise. Why? That money comes out of the
taxpayers pockets, and revenues are down with millions out of work.

It seems apparent to me that democrats are idiots.
Post by Jenn
<snip>
Post by Eagle
Post by Jenn
They
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Leo
2009-12-17 22:11:03 UTC
"I contend that, for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle." - Winston Churchill
JerryD(upstateNY)
2009-12-19 00:14:56 UTC
"Eagle" wrote in message .......What is the answer to bringing America back
from the pit of hell?
If I had the answer, I'd be the prez today..................

Depending on where I get my info, 70% -85% of all jobs are from small
business.

Small business is scared of what Obama will do and won't hire anyone until
they are sure they won't be taxed to death.
If the president said there would be no taxes on any profits made by small
businesses for 2 years, EVERYONE would be working tomorrow.
JerryD(upstateNY)
Leo
2009-12-19 00:33:23 UTC
Good idea. Small business would hire even if the government said no new
taxes in small business for two years. It is the uncertainty that has many
small businesses refusing to hire.
JerryD(upstateNY)
Isaak
2009-12-19 01:07:36 UTC
That would help, but there's a lot more to it than just a promise of no new taxes. They need people to start buying their products, banks to resume loaning money, etc, etc.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_72/s0912017489604.htm
http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/02/smallbusiness/small_business_white_house_jobs_forum/index.htm

JerryD(upstateNY)
Leo
2009-12-19 17:51:24 UTC
When small businesses hire more people, more people will have money to
spend. As more people buy things the business climate improves, small
business increases profit giving banks the assurance they need to lend money
to small business.
Isaak
2009-12-19 18:24:08 UTC
I think we'll see a jobless recovery for several months to come yet. Many
small business owners won't hire more people until the people they already
have can't keep up with the work. They have lots of people who are on
reduced hours that can be brought back to normal 40 hour work weeks before
needing to bring more people in. Even then many small business owners don't
see themselves ever going back to the pre-recession employment levels.

Jenn
2009-12-19 19:58:53 UTC
Post by Isaak
I think we'll see a jobless recovery for several months to come yet. Many
small business owners won't hire more people until the people they already
have can't keep up with the work. They have lots of people who are on
reduced hours that can be brought back to normal 40 hour work weeks before
needing to bring more people in. Even then many small business owners
don't see themselves ever going back to the pre-recession employment
levels.
I'm thinking more in the way of years before this recession will show signs
of recovery. The last recession that I recall in the '80's took a LONG time
show any recovery from that, too.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
SeaNymph
2009-12-19 20:49:38 UTC
I see nothing to indicate that we are anywhere near moving beyond this
recession. This constant spending by the administration is not helping
anything, and is only laying more debt on future generations, debt that many
believe is unsustainable.
Eagle
JerryD(upstateNY)
SeaNymph
2009-12-19 19:33:56 UTC
And why should small business have to do something the federal government is
not even willing to do? Congress continues to remove any requirement to
verify eligibility for federally funded jobs ( think so called stimulus
package here), and there is no requirement to verify eligibility for the POS
legislation that democrats keep claiming is reform.

IOW, democrats continue to push for illegals to have jobs paid for by
American taxpayers, and access to federally funded health insurance, again,
paid for by taxpayers.
JerryD(upstateNY)
Eagle
JerryD(upstateNY)
SeaNymph
JerryD(upstateNY)
Eagle
JerryD(upstateNY)
Leo
2009-12-19 21:18:06 UTC
Of course.
Glenn
2009-12-19 15:34:47 UTC
So true. I'm retired now but I used to have 4 or 5 carpenters on the
payroll and the atmosphere now is so scary I would fold if I could.

Even back when I was working, I remember one day filling out 7 tax
forms. Then the doorbell rang and there was some new damn law that
you had to have a battery operated sump pump in the basement. This
guy and 6 trainees was asking me questions about it and I lied as
little as I could to make it sound good to them. Then they said we
will check your basement. I said why, they said to confirm what you
told us. Now remember I had just filled out 7 tax forms anyway so I
was already pissed off. I said when you get back with a search
warrant, I will let ONE of you in. They got into a bunch and mumbled
some, came back and said they don't really have to see it and left
mumbling about me.

Push me far enough and I will push back. [g]
JerryD(upstateNY)
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-19 18:12:28 UTC
Congratulations. Nothing like feeling a little better in the end.

I wish we could reschedule the elections to be on April 16th. That ought to
get rid of the incumbents.
JerryD(upstateNY)
oaknymph
2009-12-19 23:42:39 UTC
Post by Ferd.Berfle
Not while there is an obesity crisis.
Weigh all recipients and only feed those at 90% or below of the Ideal
Body Weight.
Mandate drug tests too.
They should test for drugs & alcohol, I see people all the time selling
their food stamps to buy them. Going to EBT cards didn't stop that habit at
all.
oaknymph
Eagle
2009-12-16 23:23:50 UTC
When you are out of options...bank accounts empty, on the edge of losing
your home, medication needed and no money to pay for it. Government
assistance was made available for these reasons, as well as others I haven't
thought of.
Assistance has been abused since it was made available.
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn
2009-12-17 01:34:39 UTC
Seems like it'd be too late to make a difference if a person waited that
long to apply for assistance. I feel for all the people who have lost their
jobs and either can't find employment or can only find temporary or
part-time work that isn't even enough to keep their heads above the water.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Jo
2009-12-17 07:15:15 UTC
Post by Jenn
When do you feel it is ok to receive government assistance, and for how
long?
For the benefit of readers from outside your country, what assistance is
available for people in your country disadvantaged through no fault of their
own, how is it paid, and for what period?
Jo
JerryD(upstateNY)
2009-12-17 08:40:31 UTC
"Jo" wrote in message ......For the benefit of readers from outside your
country, what assistance is
available for people in your country disadvantaged through no fault of their
own, how is it paid, and for what period?<<<<<<<<<<<

The problem here isn't people who are "disadvantaged through no fault of
their own".
The problem is the Democrats keep adding people to the list who get
assistance.
They never take human nature into account when passing laws, so people
always take advantage of any bleeding heart law that the lefties pass.
You can now get LIFETIME assistance for things like drug addiction, alcohol
addiction, faked mental problems and on and on.
The lefties always say "we have to have a safety net for people".
The problem is the "safety net" lasts forever.
When do you think an alcoholic will quit drinking if he is subsidized for
the rest of his life.
Same with a druggie.
If these people weren't subsidized, when they got hungry and cold, they
might straighten up and get a job.
JerryD(upstateNY)
Jo
2009-12-17 08:52:48 UTC
Post by JerryD(upstateNY)
The problem here isn't people who are "disadvantaged through no fault of
their own".
They were the ones I was particularly interested in though.

snip
Post by JerryD(upstateNY)
When do you think an alcoholic will quit drinking if he is subsidized for
the rest of his life.
Same with a druggie.
If these people weren't subsidized, when they got hungry and cold, they
might straighten up and get a job.
There is no way I would justify that kind of subsidy.
Jo
JerryD(upstateNY)
2009-12-17 12:55:19 UTC
"Jo" wrote in message The problem here isn't people who are "disadvantaged through no fault of
their own".
They were the ones I was particularly interested in though.<<<<<<<<<

I have never gotten any welfare or any other kind of assistance, but I don't think you can get any kind of assistance if you own a home or a late model car.
You might be able to get food stamps, I'm not sure though.
JerryD(upstateNY)
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-17 13:58:15 UTC
"JerryD(upstateNY)" <***@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:hgd9nk$924$***@news.eternal-september.org...
"Jo" wrote in message The problem here isn't people who are "disadvantaged
through no fault of
their own".
They were the ones I was particularly interested in though.<<<<<<<<<

I have never gotten any welfare or any other kind of assistance, but I don't
think you can get any kind of assistance if you own a home or a late model
car.
You might be able to get food stamps, I'm not sure though.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/welfare/bg1796.cfm
What Is Poverty?
The Census Bureau reports that 35.9 million persons "lived in poverty" in
2003. To understand poverty in America, it is important to look behind these
numbers and examine the actual living conditions of the individuals the
government deems to be poor.7 For most Americans, the word "poverty"
suggests destitution--an inability to provide a family with nutritious food,
clothing, and reasonable shelter. Yet only a small number of the millions of
persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description.
Although real material hardship certainly does occur, it is limited in scope
and severity. Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that
would be judged as comfortable or well off just a few generations ago.

The following facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau are
taken from various government reports:

a.. Forty-six percent of all poor households own their own homes. The
average home owned by persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau is a
three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or
patio.
b.. Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By
contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population
enjoyed air conditioning.
c.. Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than
two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
d.. The average poor American has more living space than the average
individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities
throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign
countries, not to those classified as poor.)
e.. Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two
or more cars.
f.. Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television. Over
half own two or more color televisions.
g.. Seventy-eight percent of America's poor own a VCR or DVD player; 62
percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
h.. Seventy-three percent of America's poor own microwave ovens; more than
half have a stereo; and one-third have an automatic dishwasher.
As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished.
The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the
same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above
recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do
higher-income children and have average protein intakes that are 100 percent
above recommended levels. Most poor children in America today are, in fact,
super-nourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds
heavier that the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.
oaknymph
2009-12-19 23:59:31 UTC
Post by JerryD(upstateNY)
[...]
and don't forget they now are given prepaid cell phones too.
oaknymph
Ferd.Berfle
2009-12-20 17:58:39 UTC
Post by oaknymph
Post by JerryD(upstateNY)
"Jo" wrote in message The problem here isn't people who are
"disadvantaged through no fault of
their own".
and don't forget they now are given prepaid cell phones too.
Indeed.

I understand that the children can get a free cell phone if they are on
medicaid.