A 70th Anniversary
Aardvark
2013-05-16 21:34:44 UTC
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and high-tech
for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr dams in
Germany:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>

53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
--
"I am not made like anyone I have seen; I dare believe I am not made
like anyone in existence. If I am not better, at least I am different."
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778)
SeaNymph
2013-05-16 21:51:06 UTC
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
Fascinating. Not an event I was familiar with, but always good to learn
something new. Frankly, I am often surprised that anyone in a plane
survived WWII. I believe those had to be incredibly brave people to do
what they did.
Aardvark
2013-05-16 21:53:44 UTC
Post by SeaNymph
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and
high-tech for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
Fascinating. Not an event I was familiar with,
I'm kind of surprised by that. Never heard of Barnes Wallis or the
'bouncing bomb'?
Post by SeaNymph
but always good to learn
something new. Frankly, I am often surprised that anyone in a plane
survived WWII.
Indeed.
Post by SeaNymph
I believe those had to be incredibly brave people to do
what they did.
For sure.

If you ever come across the film, I highly recommend 'The Dambusters' to
you. That music on YT was the theme tune.
SeaNymph
2013-05-16 22:23:33 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by SeaNymph
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and
high-tech for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
Fascinating. Not an event I was familiar with,
I'm kind of surprised by that. Never heard of Barnes Wallis or the
'bouncing bomb'?
I am familiar with the bouncing bomb. It was a weird thing I think. I
was not familiar with the raids or their outcome.
Ah...well, I'll add it to my list to keep an eye out for.
Parko
2013-05-17 00:49:12 UTC
Post by SeaNymph
Post by Aardvark
Post by SeaNymph
I believe those had to be incredibly brave people to do what they did.
For sure.
If you ever come across the film, I highly recommend 'The Dambusters'
to you. That music on YT was the theme tune.
Ah...well, I'll add it to my list to keep an eye out for.
Well here are two documentaries to watch. The first about a modern
attempt to recreate the technology, the second about the real raid.

--
A man using Apple Maps walks in to a bar, or maybe a hotel, or maybe a
church...
SeaNymph
2013-05-17 13:29:18 UTC
Post by Parko
Post by SeaNymph
Post by Aardvark
http://youtu.be/4l0dFWFLIq0
http://youtu.be/2p4N_t3bDKY
Fascinating. Thanks!
Eagle
2013-05-16 22:00:52 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and high-tech
for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr dams in
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
I saw a program on the military channel about Operation Chastise.
Barnes Wallis developed the "bouncing bomb" where a barrel filled with
high explosives was dropped and bounced off the water to the face of
the
Möhne Reservoir and Edersee Dams. The only way the dams could be
breached was to get high explosives right on the face of the dams and
under water.
I didn't know there were so many air crews lost in doing this.

Didn't Barnes Wallis develop the giant 20 ton bunker buster bombs as
well?
--
Eagle
Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.
Aardvark
2013-05-16 22:09:33 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and
high-tech for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
I saw a program on the military channel about Operation Chastise. Barnes
Wallis developed the "bouncing bomb" where a barrel filled with high
explosives was dropped and bounced off the water to the face of the
Möhne Reservoir and Edersee Dams. The only way the dams could be
breached was to get high explosives right on the face of the dams and
under water.
The science behind it was so simple, but was only apparently obvious to
Wallis.
I didn't know there were so many air crews lost in doing this.
The Ruhr was a very heavily-defended area. Lots of manufacturing depended
on, and was situated on it.
Didn't Barnes Wallis develop the giant 20 ton bunker buster bombs as
well?
He invented a number of machines of war, including the Wellington bomber.
There's a hangar at Liverpool airport he designed. I was on a refurb in
the building a few years ago when the interior was turned into a large,
two-tier open-plan office.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes_Wallis>
Eagle
2013-05-16 22:28:03 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by Aardvark
[...]
Thanks for the link. I'll read it when I get a little more time. WWII
history holds my interest like nothing else. That project at Liverpool
airport must have been an honor to work on. I'd like to read about it
sometime.
G. Morgan
2013-05-17 10:54:25 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and high-tech
for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr dams in
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
That was one hell of a mission. They had to evade so many anti-aircraft
guns to even get close to the dams, then those bombs had to be dropped
just right to be effective.

Damn (no pun intended) simple idea in retrospect. Just put a little
"English" on the bomb, like a cue ball in billiards - or like a well back
spun 8 iron onto the green.
Eagle
2013-05-17 15:15:26 UTC
On Fri, 17 May 2013 05:54:25 -0500, G. Morgan
Post by G. Morgan
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and high-tech
for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr dams in
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
That was one hell of a mission. They had to evade so many anti-aircraft
guns to even get close to the dams, then those bombs had to be dropped
just right to be effective.
Damn (no pun intended) simple idea in retrospect. Just put a little
"English" on the bomb, like a cue ball in billiards - or like a well back
spun 8 iron onto the green.
Or, drill three holes in the bomb and let the bomb rack hook the bomb
into the pocket.
KABLOOEY!
--

Eagle

It does not require many words to speak the truth.
Chief Joseph
Aardvark
2013-05-19 13:02:24 UTC
Post by G. Morgan
Post by Aardvark
Today is the seventieth anniversary of an amazingly daring (and
high-tech for the time) bomber raid, Operation Chastise, on the Ruhr
http://youtu.be/Z9E1LDOVGcY
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise>
53 Lancaster crew members were lost on the raid.
That was one hell of a mission. They had to evade so many anti-aircraft
guns to even get close to the dams, then those bombs had to be dropped
just right to be effective.
Damn (no pun intended) simple idea in retrospect. Just put a little
"English" on the bomb, like a cue ball in billiards - or like a well
back spun 8 iron onto the green.
In the bombing of Dresden (Operation Thunderclap), *722* Lancasters took
part in the raid, mate. *722*!!!!

I've witnessed a Lancaster in flight a number of times, and those four
Rolls-Royce Merlin engines droning together make a distinctive sound that
tells you even without seeing it that it's a Lancaster. I just couldn't
imagine the sound that 722 of the fuckers would make, but I'm sure it
would be *awesome*, and I'm not using that word lightly.
Jax
2013-05-20 18:47:41 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by G. Morgan
Post by Aardvark
[...]
Aardvark..... don't be silly. They didn't all go in one raid! LOL :)
Jax
Eagle
2013-05-20 19:31:30 UTC
Post by Jax
Post by Aardvark
Post by G. Morgan
Post by Aardvark
[...]
In four raids between 13 and 15 February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of
the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and 527 of the United States Army Air
Forces (USAAF) dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and
incendiary devices on the city.
Aardvark
2013-05-20 19:47:30 UTC
Post by Jax
Post by Aardvark
Post by G. Morgan
Post by Aardvark
[...]
Aardvark..... don't be silly.
Of course not, you stupid cunt.
Post by Jax
They didn't all go in one raid!
You can prove that ridiculous statement, you stupid cunt? I can certainly
prove mine.
Post by Jax
LOL
Amused by your own limitless ignorance again, I see, you stupid trolling
cunt.
Jax
2013-05-20 20:41:06 UTC
Post by Aardvark
Post by Jax
Post by Aardvark
Post by Jax
They didn't all go in one raid!
You can prove that ridiculous statement, you stupid cunt? I can
certainly prove mine.
Aardvark I would like to see you prove your assertion that all 722
Lancasters were in one raid.

Here's my proof to the contrary: "In four raids between 13 and 15
February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF)
[etc]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

I won't bother waiting for your non-existent proof! The moral is don't
argue with the wife of a military pilot about air history. LOL :)
Jax
John Karras
2013-05-20 21:01:58 UTC
Post by Jax
I won't bother waiting for your non-existent proof! The moral is don't
argue with the wife of a military pilot about air history. LOL
Who would that be? Is it the cocaine-smuggling Billy Bear Bottoms you've
been saying lately that you *aren't related to*?

LOL, indeed!
Aardvark
2013-05-20 21:17:59 UTC
Post by John Karras
Post by Jax
I won't bother waiting for your non-existent proof! The moral is don't
argue with the wife of a military pilot about air history. LOL
Who would that be? Is it the cocaine-smuggling Billy Bear Bottoms you've
been saying lately that you *aren't related to*?
LOL, indeed!
The troll just can't seem to make its mind up, can it, John. Unfortunately
for it, there are those here who know the truth of the matter.
Aardvark
2013-05-20 21:10:36 UTC
Post by Jax
Post by Aardvark
Post by Jax
Post by Aardvark
Post by Jax
They didn't all go in one raid!
You can prove that ridiculous statement, you stupid cunt? I can
certainly prove mine.
Aardvark I would like to see you prove your assertion that all 722
Lancasters were in one raid.
Read and fucking learn for once in your miserable, misbegotten fucking life,
you stupid cunt:

<http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=55>
Post by Jax
Here's my proof to the contrary: "In four raids between 13 and 15
February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF)
[etc]"
So you can thoughtlessly copy and paste, you stupid cunt. Whoop-de-fucking-
doo.
Post by Jax
http://<SNIP PREVIOUSLY-READ LINK>
I won't bother waiting for your non-existent proof!
I don't fucking blame you, cunt, as non-existent proof means a long fucking
wait. Good thing my proof exists, isn't it?
Post by Jax
The moral is don't
argue with the wife of a military pilot about air history.
If I ever encounter one, you stupid cunt, I'll try to remember that.
Jax
2013-05-20 21:17:46 UTC
Post by Jax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II
I won't bother waiting for your non-existent proof!
You are a sore loser Aardvark! Just admit you got it wrong that all 722
British Lancasters didn't go in one raid! LOL :)
--
Jax